What is your favorite room in the house? Is it maybe an outdoor room?
Homeowners in Leesburg, Aldie, Ashburn and the rest of Northern Virginia are focused on taking the comforts of indoors out, with an amazing patio, deck, and combination outdoor spaces.
While your backyard can quickly become your favorite “room” in the house, without the small comforts of the indoors, you’ll find yourself moving back inside frequently. To abate that problem, make sure you consider accessories such as fire pits, patio heaters, and comfortable outdoor furniture.
And, don’t forget the patio lighting. After all, few things are as enjoyable as relaxing after a long day under the stars or hosting a weekend party outside. With the addition of patio lighting, you can stay outside well after sunset for any occasion.
Leesburg Patio Lighting Takes Warm Weather Fun to the Next Level
Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia offers a large variety of patio lighting options. But few are as popular today as our overhead market lights.
You’ve seen them in the big-box, on the patio at your favorite eatery, and maybe in the backyard setting of your favorite sitcom, well, now those nostalgic round lights can be yours!
We will custom design, string, and install LED market lights over your patio, deck, or even over a lawn area you designate. The results will speak for themselves with a fun and nostalgic feeling, but you’ll also enjoy no sagging lines, no extra wire, and a 5-year warranty for peace-of-mind.
Relax in the Glow of Ambient Patio Lighting
When creating a relaxing vibe for your patio retreat, we often utilize landscape lighting around the perimeter combined with recessed hardscape lighting in your vertical stone structures. The light is soft and subtle while providing enough light to navigate the space safely for evening relaxation.
Our outdoor accent lighting is perfect for enjoying cocktails and conversations with friends, or just sipping your favorite cold beverage while letting the day melt away in relative silence.
If you have a fireplace or fire pit, a subtle lighting design won’t take away from the magic of the flickering flame and will help guide you in and out of your home or to the woodpile when it is time to add more.
We often design and install a combination of festive and ambient patio lighting so you can enjoy the flexibility required for each new day.
If you’re ready to get outdoors and enjoy the mild nights of spring, summer, and fall, call us today! We offer a free nighttime lighting demonstration, so you can try it before you buy it. (703) 361-0505
It’s winter, and you may be thinking about cozying up in the warmth of your house. But just because the weather has cooled off, you don’t have to abandon your outdoor living spaces. In fact, some outdoor living spaces do great in the colder months, and the addition of lighting makes them even more usable.
Your outdoor living spaces are meant to be an extension of your home, so setting them up for colder weather is an absolute necessity. Lighting outdoor living spaces becomes even more critical in the winter. As the days grow shorter and darker, lighting outdoor living spaces is the only way to enjoy them. If you’re like many homeowners, the sun has already set by the time you get home from work, so you need that extra light.
Lighting Different Types of Outdoor Living Spaces
Too often, homeowners give up on outdoor living in the winter, but some spaces are great for cold weather. If you have an outdoor fire pit or fireplace, roasting smores on a chilly night can be a great activity for family and friends. Bring out some hot cocoa, and you’ve got yourself a magical evening. These are some spaces outside your home that could benefit from outdoor lighting:
• Outdoor rooms: It is becoming increasingly common for some outdoor spaces to be treated as outdoor rooms. The outdoor room is treated similarly to an indoor room, complete with furniture and lighting. If you have an outdoor room, there is no need to abandon it in the winter. Just like an indoor room, you can actually heat a well-sheltered outdoor room, and add lighting to make it more useful all year round.
• Hot tubs and spas are unique outdoor spaces that can be especially fun in the winter months. Taking a hot soak on a cold night is a great way to relax and enjoy the winter weather. With the right lighting, your spa can be a year-round attraction.
• Fire features: If you have a fire feature, there is no reason not to light it up all winter long. Of course, a fire is its own heat source, so cozying up to a great fire feature will keep you and your guests warm. And although a fire feature is also a source of light, without additional lighting you would still be left mostly in the dark.
• Backyard: It’s not always cold in the winter. If you use your backyard, why not install some ambient light so that you and your guests can see the area around them and navigate safely at night? Find tall trees, gazebos, or even parts of your home where you can hide an unassuming fixture. It’s important to use a few fixtures from different angles to avoid deep shadows.
Lighting outdoor living spaces is a great way to bridge the indoor and outdoor areas of your home. Even in the colder winter months, you can enjoy your outdoor living areas at night. With help from the experts at Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia, your outdoor living spaces will look and feel like a high-end resort with just the right lighting for each space.
At Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia, a landscape lighting designer will have the experience and knowledge to consider safety, security, and beauty when creating a custom lighting design. If you have any questions or would like to discuss your lighting needs, please feel free to contact us. If you’re ready to start spending more evenings enjoying your outdoor space, schedule a free consultation and night-time demonstration! Call us today (703) 361-0505.
Have you ever pulled into a driveway that was so dark you had difficulty navigating your way around it? Not being able to see properly, likely made you worry about hitting something on the property or wonder if you were headed in the right direction. Now, consider your own driveway. Would your guests have any difficulty at night?
Lighting a driveway serves several purposes. It provides safety for you and your guests and adds curb appeal to your home.
Similar to the reasons for lighting walkways and paths for safety, the same apply to lighting a driveway. The light serves as a guide to navigate you and your guests, while creating a warm, welcoming ambiance at the same time. When properly done, driveway lighting gives your home that WOW factor, leaving a great first impression.
There are Three Ways to Light a Driveway for Both Safety and Curb Appeal:
If you have large trees along your driveway, down lighting is a great option, creating a unique, soft atmosphere with relatively minimal pre-planning required. With new home builds, you can map out the tree placement along the driveway. A landscape lighting designer or specialist will have knowledge on how to strategically place fixtures to provide optimal lighting.
If you prefer fixtures that are less noticeable, up-lights are a great option. If you have mature trees along your driveway, up-lights will help define the driveway edge and add ambient light. Fixtures can be installed along the turf, or into the driveway cement, also requiring more planning ahead.
Whichever type of lighting fixtures you choose, you’ll want them installed to highlight any potential obstacles along the driveway – trees, fences, walls, etc. – or at a change of direction. Additionally, providing adequate lighting at the entrance to the destination makes finding the entrance to your home and parking much easier and safer.
As you can see, strategically placed lighting can increase driveway safety and provide curb appeal to your home. It is best to get a landscape lighting designer or specialist involved to help you develop a comprehensive landscape lighting plan for existing or new home builds, to keep safety, security, and beauty in mind.
At Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia, a landscape lighting designer will have the experience and knowledge to consider safety, security, and beauty when creating a custom lighting design. If you have any questions or would like to discuss driveway lighting or other lighting needs, please feel free to contact us. If you’re ready to start spending more evenings enjoying your outdoor space, schedule a free consultation and night-time demonstration! Call us today (703) 361-0505.
Whether you are trying to make an educated decision about installation of outdoor lighting or are simply trying to better understand how to best bring beauty and ambiance to your yard or patio, there are some questions you may have in mind. Well, you’ve come to the right place, because we’ve got answers!
Below are some of the not so obvious questions customers have asked us, but also the questions we believe people ought to be asking.
1. When Should I Have My Lights Installed?
You can have your lighting put in while you are having a landscape project completed, or even after the project is complete. Either way, there are very few obstacles that can keep a skilled technician from putting a light where they want it.
2. Why Would I Switch to LED When My Halogen Lamps Cost Less?
Yes, halogen lamps only cost a third of what an LED lamp does. However, that doesn’t mean they are saving you money. A halogen lamp’s life is limited to a year. You might get a year and a half if you’re lucky. LED lamps on the other hand, last 5 years and can be expected to continue working well beyond that. If you retrofit your system with LED, the cost of your halogen lamps will be paid for in just three years or so. That means every consecutive year after that is a year you are saving money in lamps. But to top it off, as most people are aware, LED lamps will also save you money on your energy bill.
3. Is it going to be bright enough?
We don’t get this question too often, as most people are more concerned about their lights being too bright. But if brightness is what you’re after, we can certainly make that happen. One of the beautiful things about LED is that it has allowed us to have greater control over the effects we are creating. Basically, it means we can adjust the effects to where you want them to be. We can go as bright or dim as necessary to create the right look.
4. How Will My Lighting System Turn On & Off?
There are a number of different ways a lighting system can be controlled. There are sophisticated control systems that optimize the amount of control you have over everything. There are also sophisticated systems that will automatically turn your system on and off each night.
While there are some pretty incredible innovations being made within the lighting industry, it’s been our experience that customers just want their lights to turn on at sunset and turn off at a designated time. The “smart” timers we use know exactly when the sun will rise and set every single day of the year. They will even adjust itself for daylight savings time so that you don’t ever have to make any adjustments.
6. What Kind of Maintenance Options Will My Lighting System Have?
At Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia, we have service plans, maintenance, and upkeep options for your lighting system. The upkeep of your lighting system will directly impact your future enjoyment of it. That’s why it’s a good idea to inquire about service options for down the road.
7. Do I Need to Hire A Professional?
In short, yes! It will always be in your best interest to choose a company that specializes in what they do, such as Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia. When you choose a company that specializes in outdoor lighting design and installation, you can be confident in their abilities to get the job done right, and leave you feeling satisfied and happy with the results.
If you have any further questions or want more information about outdoor lighting, look no further than Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia. At Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia, a landscape lighting designer will have the experience and knowledge to consider safety, security, and beauty when creating a custom lighting design. If you would like to discuss your lighting needs, please feel free to contact us. If you’re ready to start spending more evenings enjoying your outdoor space, schedule a free consultation and night-time demonstration! Call us today (703) 361-0505.
You may have heard about down lighting, as it is a popular technique for general and accent lighting in both residential and commercial properties. But, what exactly is down lighting, and what are some examples of where they are used most?
Down lighting is when a fixture is mounted in an elevated location and aimed downwards so that the light being emitted spreads a wash of light on the target down below. The fixture can be mounted to various locations, including a tree limb, the soffit of a home, or even a metal pole, all of which work to provide a place of elevated height for the fixture to be perched.
Here are some examples of down lighting applications:
1. Patios and outdoor living spaces are a wonderful place to enjoy the effects of down lighting. Down lighting provides a functional light for both tranquil and social situations that occur on your patio. Down lights are soft lights that don’t distract or overwhelm you or your guests is always ideal for a patio space. The key to beautiful lighting is subtlety: less says more.
2. Ponds: Whether it’s the soft babbling of lapping water or the cool temperature a water feature lends to the night air in the summer, ponds bring tranquility to our outdoor experience. Extending that enjoyment into the evening can be as simple as highlighting it with the right lighting. Down lighting your pond provides an overall calm and a sense of character to what would otherwise be a dark space.
3. Water creates a lot of reflection, and a defined glow emanates from a pond when it is being down lit appropriately. Reflection lends more definition to everything it touches. Creating a dramatic scene with light depends on the contrast between light and shadow in moving water.
4. Statuary lighting should be done from above whenever possible. Lighting a statue from below has a potential to create unnatural looking shadows. When a statue is lit from above, it provides a more natural looking effect. The shadows all lie as they should, and the statue itself is put in the best light. The most natural looking lighting on a statue often leaves the best impression of the viewer.
5. Path: To provide effective safety, light, pathways and other traveled places like steps need to be illuminated. Down lighting a pathway helps visitors see where they are going safely. Down lighting from trees creates beauty in the way the leaves and tree branches stretch shadows across pathways. This natural looking effect adds real beauty to the places that would otherwise be left dark.
6. Security: Security lighting is important for an obvious reason: keeping your property safe at night. The beautiful thing about landscape lighting is that security lighting can be achieved without having to sacrifice beauty or ambiance. Beautiful security lighting can be achieved when it’s down with proper down lighting and the right finesse.
At Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia, a landscape lighting designer will have the experience and knowledge to consider safety, security, and beauty when creating a custom lighting design. If you have any questions or would like to discuss down lighting or other lighting needs, please feel free to contact us. If you’re ready to start spending more evenings enjoying your outdoor space, schedule a free consultation and night-time demonstration! Call us today (703) 361-0505.
As we begin the fall season, we can look forward to spending crisp evenings enjoying our outdoor living areas. If your space has an outdoor fireplace or firepit, perhaps you are looking forward to cozy evenings unwinding after a long day of work or on the weekend around the fire’s warmth with your friends and family.
Lighting an Outdoor Fireplace
An outdoor fireplace is a unique aspect to any outdoor living space and adding another layer of light makes it even more of a beautiful focal point at night. There are a few different techniques that can be used to light an outdoor fireplace:
• Uplighting: Many fireplaces are made of natural stone. Uplighting the stonework creates unique shadow effects. The light gently crawls up the fireplace not to overpower it or take away from the effect the fire brings.
• Downlighting onto an outdoor fireplace is another popular outdoor lighting technique. If you have mature trees that overhang nearby, this technique provides a unique, natural soft light on the fireplace and surrounding environment. It also keeps the area safe at night for you, your family, and visiting guests.
Lighting Areas Around Fire Pits
Fire pits differ from fireplaces as the structure is open instead of enclosed, creating a campfire-like environment offering more room for seating and entertaining. The ambiance is a little more lively as it encourages storytelling, laughter, and enjoying s‘mores.
Some common techniques for lighting the area around fire pits include using path lights, seat wall lights, or a combination of both. The light on the stone walls and steps creates unique shadows on the rocks…the perfect ambiance for telling ghost stories! Also, having light near the ground increases the safety of the entire area.
Seat wall lighting makes quite an impact around a fire pit, as well, by providing a significant amount of light to the surrounding area.
Ready to light your outdoor fireplace or firepit? Schedule your free consultation with an outdoor lighting designer to discuss your lighting needs. Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia has decades of experience creating elegant designs and completing flawless installations. Our team takes pride in creating lighting designs that look great at night! During our free nighttime assessment, you’ll meet with one of our lighting designers to discuss all your lighting needs. Call us today (202) 888-2718 to make an appointment!
Ever walk through your seemingly safe backyard, and stumble over an obstacle you didn’t know was there? As you are likely aware, in the dark, something as simple as walking in your yard can pose a serious hazard. This goes doubly for walking up and down stairways. Adding light to a backyard path or your deck’s descending staircase will enable you to more safely tread an otherwise risky evening venture.
While you may be questioning whether or not we can add lighting to your existing outdoor stairway, the truth is that there is always a way if you are creative with your design (and we are!) Tread lights, post lights, downlights, and core lights are all approaches used for stair lighting that can be invaluable components to any outdoor lighting system. ￼
So how do we decide which lighting technique to use for your stairs? It depends on how you are using the particular space and the effect you want to achieve. Here are some options:
• Tread/Recessed lighting – This popular lighting option casts light down onto the step directly beneath it. Providing a soft light, the fixture looks natural and is barely seen because of the way it is installed.
• Downlighting – To accomplish this, fixtures emitting a soft wash light are mounted high up in a tree or architecturally. Directed onto a staircase, this type of lighting can provide effective lighting, while also maintaining a serene atmosphere.
• Path Lighting – Oftentimes, step lighting is done not in a stair case, but alongside the far apart steps in a descending or ascending path. Path lighting is done to illuminate pathways, but can also be used to light up the steps that a pathway can sometimes have.
• Post Rail Lighting – These fixtures are mounted onto the post or railing of your stairs. They are an effective way to light the ground beneath them, or more often, the steps beneath them.
Safety is important, but light does more than illuminate dangers. When done right, light can create a charming atmosphere. Bringing that extra element of aesthetic pleasure, light doesn’t merely show us where we are going; it creates a beautiful ambiance.
These installations often require precise placement and technical know-how, so it’s important to hire an experienced professional, such as Outdoor Lighting of Northern Virginia. Want to learn more about outdoor lighting? Find out how you can enjoy more of your nights safely outdoors by scheduling a complimentary night demonstration! Call 703-361-0505 or email us at [email protected]
Thinking about outdoor lighting? A good landscape lighting design can transform your outdoor spaces, add distinction and enhance the beauty of your home, and increase the overall safety and security of your property.
As you begin thinking about your needs, keep these questions in mind when you meet with us to plan your outdoor lighting design:
1. Can You Create a Landscape Lighting Design That Can Be Added onto Later? If you think you might want to add more lights later down the road, it’s always good to discuss this with your designer. A few minor adjustments now could make additions later on easier. For example, there might be a better place to put the transformer depending on your future needs. Most designers will work with you to plan your design in phases too. If you do this, our designers recommend having the phases done in complete sections for a cleaner overall look. Perhaps you start with the front of the house and then light the trees later or if you like to entertain then maybe start with the backyard, adding more to the front later. It’s easy to start small and add more lights down the road.
2. What Are Some Ways to Save Energy? Some people have varying opinions about energy savings. However, if conserving energy is important to you, then this is a good topic to discuss with your designer. Choosing an outdoor LED lighting system provides several benefits, one being its energy savings. LED bulbs use a fraction of the electricity and have a longer life than halogen or incandescent bulbs.
3. How Will You Use Light to Enhance My Home and Property? During the initial consultation with an outdoor lighting designer, let them know how you use your space and your vision for light. Then find out how they’ll add light to enhance it. A designer with years of knowledge and experience will know what lighting techniques and fixtures will work best given the situation and the elements.
4. How can outdoor lighting increase visibility, safety, and security? If visibility is important to you, highlighting stone or brick elements in the front of the home draws the eye to the front door, creates a welcoming atmosphere, and increases safety and security; Illuminating trees anchored on the property corners also helps visually frame the house to form an aesthetic appeal. The added light makes it more difficult for intruders to hide on your property. Path lights along the front walkway help safely guide guests to your door or around your property. For ways that are specific to your property, be sure to inquire about these things at your free consultation.
By asking all the right questions, you’ll end up with a more comprehensive design by focusing on lighting the elements that will enhance your home and property as well as cater to your personal needs.
Find an Experienced Outdoor Lighting Designer
At Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia, we have designers that will work with you to create a custom lighting design that’s unique to your property. Once your design is complete, you can count on our team of experts to maintain it and keep it looking as good as the day it was first installed. If you have any questions or would like to discuss your lighting needs, please feel free to contact us or request a free consultation online. Find out how you can enjoy more of your summer nights outdoors by scheduling a complimentary night demonstration! Call 703-361-0505 or email us at [email protected]
Entertaining in your outdoor living space, unwinding under the trees, and creating memories by the pool are a huge part of what makes summer so great. And a little bit of extra light in the evening makes the fun last even longer!
Outdoor lighting increases the functionality of your space, highlights its beauty, and creates an ambiance. These are some ways outdoor lighting will make leisurely summer nights more enjoyable:
• Lighting trees and landscaping can expand the premises of your property and showcase your plants while increasing security.
• Path lights help safely guide family and guests around your property. It also could be beneficial to illuminate an outdoor structure like a pergola, outdoor kitchen, treehouse, etc.
• Lighting your deck or patio enables you to host bar-b-ques and gatherings at night or enjoy the evening while you watch the sunset.
• Using your pool at night can be hazardous, especially in areas such as steps, walkways and pool edges. Adding outdoor lighting to the area around your pool provides a unique ambiance and increased safety.
When planning lighting for an outdoor space, think about your lifestyle and how you’ll use it — whether as a play area for a young, active family or as a serene spot for relaxing and reading. That will help you prioritize where light is needed.
The professionals at Outdoor Lighting Perspectives can work with you to develop a custom landscape lighting design that perfectly accents your outdoor space.
Want to learn more about outdoor lighting? Find out how you can enjoy more of your summer nights outdoors by scheduling a complimentary night demonstration! Call 703-361-0505 or email us at [email protected]
Are you considering outdoor lighting for your Northern Virginia home? Instead of moving, many homeowners in the area are improving their homes. They are adding decks, patios, gazebos and outdoor kitchens, and they aren’t just planning to use them in the daytime.
The trend toward expanding outdoor living spaces has been growing for some time now. In past years, the goal was lighting the outdoor space and showing off the garden. Now the focus is on finding innovative ways to light outdoor spaces so they can be used at night, much as they’re used during the day.
Backyard decks no longer just have a small light near the door. Lighting designers are now installing down lights in trees and attaching them to chimneys to shine light down on the space. They are also putting in a lot of step lights to make the transition from the upper to lower level easier. People no longer have to feel that they’re under a spotlight when they sit outside under the stars.
Is Outdoor Lighting a Good Investment?
Not only is outdoor lighting a good investment, an outdoor lighting system also allows you to walk around your property at night safely. It is a deterrent against unwanted intruders, for the same reason as it is welcoming to your guests: visibility. Outdoor lighting makes your home gorgeous at night, as it highlights features to bring out the beauty that was always there. It shows off the beauty of your patio, deck, gazebo, pergola or pool during the dark hours, while extending the usability of your outdoor living areas into the night. Outdoor lighting is great investment when it comes to home value and for the experiences your family will have with neighbors and friends!
Want to learn more about outdoor lighting? Find out how we can enhance your home’s curb appeal by scheduling a complimentary night demonstration! Call 703-361-0505 or email us at [email protected]
Professionally installed low-voltage lighting softly illuminates and elegantly enhances your home and property while protecting you and your family.
For years, we’ve been tasked with illuminating Northern Virginia’s homes and properties. When lighting for security, we strive to provide adequate light that eliminates any dark areas, an intruder might hide within these three areas:
1. Entry points: Illuminating entry points, such as the front entrance, side doors, lower windows, and garage, will allow you to see who’s coming and going, and make it difficult for an intruder to gain access. Uplighting the home’s columns or other architectural features will brighten dark entries and enhance its beauty.
2. Yard and areas close to the home: It’s important to add light to dark walkways and paths, landscaping, outdoor living areas, and outdoor structures. Some ambient light in the yard gives a more comprehensive look while eliminating dark areas.
3. The perimeter of your property: If you have lots of trees or a wooded area where someone could potentially hide, illuminating those areas will give you peace of mind.
Strategically lighting your home, the areas surrounding your home and yard, and the perimeter of your property, makes it more difficult for a potential intruder to get onto your property and into your home. Usually, thieves choose an easy target, and a house that is well lit deters unwelcome intruders.
Professional low-voltage landscape lighting elegantly enhances your home’s natural beauty while providing an elevated level of security for you and your family. Using more than one lighting technique creates different layers of light. Lighting in layers not only adds beauty and interest, but it allows us to create multiple “zones” of light.
At Outdoor Lighting Perspectives, we understand the art of blending security with the aesthetic aspect of a lighting design. During a free assessment, you’ll meet with one of our lighting designers to discuss your security lighting needs and setting up zones.
Interested in outdoor lighting? Find out how we can enhance your home’s curb appeal by scheduling a complimentary night demonstration! Call 703-361-0505 or email us at [email protected]
As you begin thinking about outdoor lighting, it’s essential to make all the right decisions for getting a lighting design that will fit your needs, make an impression, and provide you with years of enjoyment. But, how do you know exactly what you are looking for, if you don’t know the right questions to ask?
A good landscape lighting design can transform your outdoor spaces, add distinction and enhance the beauty of your home, and increase the overall safety and security of your property. Keep these questions in mind as you plan your outdoor lighting design:
1. How Will You Use Light to Enhance My Home and Property? During the initial consultation with an outdoor lighting designer, such as Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia, let us know how you use your space and your vision for light. Then find out how we’ll add light to enhance it. Our designer will know what lighting techniques and fixtures will work in your situation and the elements.
2. What Are Some Ways to Save Energy? Some people have varying opinions about energy savings. However, if conserving energy is important to you, then this is a good topic to discuss with your designer. Choosing an outdoor LED lighting system provides several benefits, one being its energy savings. LED bulbs use a fraction of the electricity and have a longer life than incandescent bulbs. If you have a high-voltage system, switching to low-voltage LED lighting system is another way to conserve energy. Anything high-voltage or 120 volts will use more energy and cost more to operate.
3. How Will My Lighting System be Maintained? While often overlooked, regular maintenance is important for the continued beauty and functionality of a lighting design. Not all companies offer maintenance services, so it’s a good idea to discuss this with your designer early on. Find out how it all works, so you know if and when something happens.
4. Can You Create a Landscape Lighting Design That Can Be Added onto Later? If you think you might want to add more lights later down the road, it’s always good to discuss this with your designer. A few minor adjustments now could make additions easier in the future. For example, there might be a better place to put the transformer depending on your future needs. We will work with you to plan your design in phases too. Perhaps you start with the front of the house and then light the trees later or if you like to entertain, and then maybe focus on the backyard. It’s easy to start small and add more lights down the road.
Finding an Experienced Outdoor Lighting Designer
At Outdoor Lighting Perspectives, we have designers that will work with you to create a custom lighting design that’s unique to your property. Once your design is complete, you can count on our team of experts to maintain it and keep it looking as good as the day it was first installed.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss your lighting needs, please feel free to contact us or request a free consultation. Our experienced lighting team provides the expertise and experience needed to light your outdoor space for both beauty and security. Our goal is to provide the highest quality, custom lighting products and services, to homes and businesses across the nation.
Interested in outdoor lighting? Find out how we can enhance your home’s curb appeal by scheduling a complimentary night demonstration! Call 703-361-0505 or email us at [email protected]
Ever look at exterior lighting, and notice a subtle, natural glow? Some of this warm, inviting glow comes from uplighting; and some comes from downlighting. A combination of downlighting and uplighting in a landscape will accent focal points and architectural detail, create an inviting mood, build property value, and improve safety.
What is the Difference Between Downlighting and Uplighting?
In uplighting, landscape lights are typically mounted below or at ground level, shining the light upward. To downlight, a fixture might be placed high up, inside the branches of a tree or beneath an eave on your house, so the light shines down. The higher the light, the wider space it tends to illuminate.
How Uplighting is Used
Certain areas outside your home are perfect for the effects of uplighting. They include:
• Trees: Lighting a pretty tree from the ground up shows off its interesting bark, the structure of its branches and its delicate leaves.
• Architectural Columns: Why not enjoy the beauty of your home’s architecture at night, too? Lighting columns from below adds drama and can create interesting shadows on walls.
• *Garden Features8: Highlight a beautiful fountain, elegant statue or a prized plant with uplighting. It automatically adds drama to your garden.
How Downlighting is Used
Some features are best lit by downlighting. They include:
• Low Growing Garden Plants: While tall, dramatic plants are best suited to uplighting, low growing flower beds and ground covers need downlighting to highlight their pretty tops.
• Outdoor Seating: Use downlighting under benches and seating walls to cast subtle lighting along pathways and patios. Not only does it cast a welcoming glow, but also it offers an element of safety for people walking through.
• Patios: Downlighting is great for illuminating large outdoor living areas.
Let Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia Turn on The Lights
Outdoor Lighting Perspectives uses the best energy-efficient LED outdoor lighting in the industry to highlight your garden, entryway, walkway, driveway, or swimming pool. A fully customized landscape lighting system will add warm ambiance to your home while offering safety for your family, friends, and visitors. We offer landscape lighting design, installation and maintenance services for any residential or commercial property owner.
We’ll add a glow to your backyard dinners, make your play area safer, light your pool parties and illuminate your garden so you can enjoy it way beyond sunset. Don’t waste your time on landscape lighting kits that are difficult to install. Trust in the lighting experts at Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia to transform your yard into a relaxing oasis.
Find out how outdoor lighting can enhance your home’s curb appeal by scheduling a complimentary night demonstration! Call 703-361-0505 or email him at [email protected]
Most people you invite over come in the evening, right? So maybe they don’t see your lovely garden, exotic plants, or your abundant trees; and that single porch light is likely more of a bug attractor than a burglar deterrent. Maybe it’s time to consider professional outdoor lighting. But, where do you begin?
Want beautiful shadows and intense highlights. Here’s how designers get that natural moonlight look, while adding curb appeal to a home:
• Highlight trees. Whether illumined from below or given presence by a light mounted in the tree itself, trees make stunning features.
• Use uplights. Uplighting is dramatic because we expect light to shine downward. Used in moderation, it’s a great way to highlight architectural and landscaping features.
• Have a focus. The entryway is often center stage, a way of saying, “Welcome” to guests.
• Combine beauty and function. Adding lighting to plantings along a pathway breaks up the “runway” look of too many lights strung alongside a walk.
• Vary the fixtures. Designers often turn to a wide range of fixtures, area lights, step lights, and bollards or post lights.
• Stick to warm light. A rainbow of colors is possible, but most designers avoid anything but warm white light, preferring to showcase the house and its landscape rather than create a light show.
• Set up a timer. A timer, with confirmation from a photocell or activated through Bluetooth, brings the display to life as the sun sets.
Find out how outdoor lighting can enhance your home’s curb appeal by scheduling a complimentary night demonstration! Call 703-361-0505 or email him at [email protected]
Let’s face it, Northern Virginia neighborhoods can get very dark when the sun goes down. Though it can make for a serene and tranquil setting, it also can be very hard to see anything. Everyone wants the peace of mind that their home is a safe place, free from crime, theft, or other unwanted mischief. One way to enhance your home’s security is to add light to the exterior of your home. This is because homes without security measures such as alarms and outdoor lighting are up to 300% more likely to be vandalized!
Home security statistics tell us that burglars will usually bypass a house if it requires too much effort. Adding light will make it more difficult for them to get onto your property and access your home without neighbors seeing them, thereby deterring potential intruders from making your home a target.
Lighting your residence can bring together beauty and the function of security, giving you peace of mind while providing beautiful curb appeal.
Here are some tips about outdoor security lights:
• The primary characteristics of most security lighting are that it’s bright and it’s mounted higher than other lights — which helps it cover a larger area.
• The most effective and efficient security lighting will be equipped with automatic controls, as they should provide the light when it is needed.
• All outdoor fixtures need to be weatherproof, weather resistant, and if they will be exposed to water — suitable for damp locations.
• If the fixtures will also be part of the appearance of your home, they should be made in a style that complements the style of the home.
Outdoor security lights need to be installed so that they will provide light where you want it. A professional lighting designer, such as Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia, will know how to strategically light your property to accomplish security, safety and beauty, while considering the use of the space; so that you can achieve your lighting goals for your home.
If you have any questions about security lighting or would like to discuss your outdoor lighting needs, please feel free to contact us at (703) 361-0505.