Ever look at exterior lighting, and notice a subtle, natural glow? Some of this warm, inviting glow comes from uplighting; and some comes from downlighting. A combination of downlighting and uplighting in a landscape will accent focal points and architectural detail, create an inviting mood, build property value, and improve safety.
What is the Difference Between Downlighting and Uplighting?
In uplighting, landscape lights are typically mounted below or at ground level, shining the light upward. To downlight, a fixture might be placed high up, inside the branches of a tree or beneath an eave on your house, so the light shines down. The higher the light, the wider space it tends to illuminate.
How Uplighting is Used
Certain areas outside your home are perfect for the effects of uplighting. They include:
• Trees: Lighting a pretty tree from the ground up shows off its interesting bark, the structure of its branches and its delicate leaves.
• Architectural Columns: Why not enjoy the beauty of your home’s architecture at night, too? Lighting columns from below adds drama and can create interesting shadows on walls.
• Garden Features: Highlight a beautiful fountain, elegant statue or a prized plant with uplighting. It automatically adds drama to your garden.
How Downlighting is Used
Some features are best lit by downlighting. They include:
• Low Growing Garden Plants: While tall, dramatic plants are best suited to uplighting, low growing flower beds and ground covers need downlighting to highlight their pretty tops.
• Outdoor Seating: Use downlighting under benches and seating walls to cast subtle lighting along pathways and patios. Not only does it cast a welcoming glow, but also it offers an element of safety for people walking through.
• Patios: Downlighting is great for illuminating large outdoor living areas.
Let Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia Turn on The Lights
Outdoor Lighting Perspectives uses the best energy-efficient LED outdoor lighting in the industry to highlight your garden, entryway, walkway, driveway, or swimming pool. A fully customized landscape lighting system will add warm ambiance to your home while offering safety for your family, friends, and visitors. We offer landscape lighting design, installation and maintenance services for any residential or commercial property owner.
We’ll add a glow to your backyard dinners, make your play area safer, light your pool parties and illuminate your garden so you can enjoy it way beyond sunset. Don’t waste your time on landscape lighting kits that are difficult to install. Trust in the lighting experts at Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Northern Virginia to transform your yard into a relaxing oasis.
Find out how outdoor lighting can enhance your home’s curb appeal by scheduling a complimentary night demonstration! Call 703-361-0505 or email him at [email protected]